The Discussion Board is a communication tool that allows asynchronous use, it allows one individual to post a comment or question. Other individuals in that course/group may read that comment and reply with their own insight. This pattern can be repeated over and over, resulting in a threaded discussion as depicted in the image above. Messages are posted within a forum as threads.
The major benefit of integrating the discussion board into your course (especially an online course) is that it allows students to participate in class discussions at a time that is most convenient for them it also allows those students who may not feel as comfortable raising their hands in class to have a voice. Which means you and your classmates do not have to be online at the same time to have a conversation.
- Access Discussion Board Forum PDF
- Reply to a Thread PDF VIDEO
- Create a Thread (mainly used in Group Discussions) PDF VIDEO
- Save and edit drafts (you are the only one who has access to these drafts so you must remember to come back and formally submit your posting so your fellow classmates and instructor may read and comment to your contribution) PDF
- Edit post (do not assume your instructor has enabled this feature, it is best to assume you will not have the option to edit your posting. Using Firefox will help catch spelling errors.) PDF
- Organize Discussion Board posts VIDEO
- View Discussion Board grades VIDEO
The text editor allows you to integrate various tools into your posts such as adding files, images, hyperlinks, mashups, etc.